About 200 children in Fiji and 2500 children in the Pacific Islands are born with congenital heart disease (CHD) each year. CHD is one of the leading cause of neonatal deaths in these nations and there is NO ongoing pediatric cardiac services.
In 2016, a Medical Team was assembled to provide free screening and surgeries, facilitated by the Sai Prema foundation. This international visiting doctors team provided surgeries twice a year.
So far, 71 children have received free life-saving surgeries saving their families over 7 million FJD. In 2019, a medical center for free heart screening and general consultations was built by the foundation and inaugurated by the Fijian Prime Minister.
With growing need, land has been provided by the government to build a cardiac hospital. So, a Children’s Cardiac Hospital is now being built by the foundation to provide FREE surgeries.
- Health In Kind has partnered on this initiative with the Sai Prema Foundation.
- Doctors from Health In Kind have been a part of health outreach programs in Fijian villages in 2019.
- We are assisting with the development of the first children’s cardiac hospital in the South Pacific, providing free treatment.
- Health In Kind is supporting the fit-out of equipment in the hospital.
- This hospital will provide life saving surgeries to children all year around, ABSOLUTELY FREE OF COST.
- The hospital will be one of the largest health projects ever undertaken by a Non-Government Organisation in Fiji’s history.
The opening of the hospital will be on 23rd of April 2020. The building of the hospital has begun. To meet this deadline, the hospital still requires a lot of medical equipment. Equipment for the hospital is of top priority. Your support is needed to buy medical equipment for the hospital. Donations are tax deductible*.
*Health In Kind is a Registered Charity with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC). Deductible Gift Recipient Status with Australian Taxation Office. Applies to Australian tax residents only.